Saturday, August 13, 2011

Boner Juice

My kids watch too much TV. Only now, instead of sitting a foot away from the console TV watching black-and-white episodes of Andy Griffith or Superman, like I did, or color episodes of The Brady Bunch and Gilligan's Island, they watch streaming Netflix versions of Good Luck, Charlie and Wizards of Waverly Place.

And I'll admit that sometimes I'd rather watch a good episode of one of their shows than to come up with something more age-appropriate for myself. And sometimes they don't watch age-appropriate stuff at all and I throw all my parenting fortitude to the wind and let them pick something else...that perhaps they shouldn't.

Today's enthralling show is the SNL Commercial Parodies. They are damn funny! I laugh and can't look away, but I don't think my kids should see some of it. I caught a glimpse of the words Boner Juice as I passed by and cringed. There is a part of me that thinks they will not get the stuff that is beyond them. It will not be a joke they understand because it is beyond their maturity level. I also think that if I were to make a Big Deal about it, their curiosity would draw them to it rather than ignoring something they don't find funny.

My friend and I talk about the movie Grease from when were kids. I was about 12-years-old when it came out and the jokes that I didn't get just whizzed right by me. I was shocked later to discover what some of it meant, but I'm a prude like that. She performed it and at that similarly young age, sang the lyrics without any changes. Yikes!

But we survived. This world is big and my kids are going to have to live in it. I don't want to shelter them from everything. I can't. I don't have the energy. And like I said, I hope they don't get it all. And I'm always available to answer questions and explain stuff to them. Sometimes, I even explain stuff so well that they ask me if we can please stop talking about it now, they're embarrassed. Which is fun, too.  

1 comment:

ckh said...

Case in point: I catch the episode where the Rabbi performs the circumcision in the back of the car and I'm laughing my butt off. The kids just look at the skit and asked why I thought it's funny. I had to explain what circumcision meant and still got a clueless look reflected back at me.